Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The reality of working on a tropical island..

#1 - You can still catch a cold. Which I did a few weeks ago, slowing down my extracurricular activities and also my blogging. Sorry!

#2 - You still have to work. And I do - long hours! Fortunately a weekend is a weekend here, two full days to sleep in a suntan and just veg out. But I often find myself working a long day, coming home to change clothes and go back out again for a dinner or networking thing, otherwise I am too tired to sit down and write anything meaningful anymore. So sorry about that too!

I have been doing a couple interesting things that merit mentioning though, like lunch last Sunday. We went up the mountain to a restaurant called Trois Decks, which had a jazz band play all afternoon. We had a very civilized meal accompanied by a few drinks and a great atmosphere, we were on one of the decks overlooking the tree canopy. I did have the foresight to take a photo but I must have had one too many rum sours because I only took photos of the foliage. I attach for your amusement anyways.

I'm starting to keep a running tab of why Haiti is better than Kabul - I think I mentioned in the first few blogs about being able to go to the beach on the weekend and show my elbows at all times? These things still excited me. As does the latest: the parties. Not the parties themselves, because a Kabul party was pretty kicking, but the fact that there isn't a guest list to get in! Kabul was insane for that! I hadn't had to 'fake' getting into somewhere since I was a teenager! But there is none of that in Haiti, yay. And if you're going to put on a party, the costs of getting alcohol are much more reasonable...

My last tidbit for the day is the language, not French but Creole. The words/phrases I learned before have come back to me, but I've been slow to learn some more - I'm still getting comfortable communicating in French. However, I'm not anticipating a problem because I (unlike a lot of Europeans here) understand Quebecois, and if you can learn Quebecois you can learn Creole. They are both a phonetic version of french, but one's fast (Quebecois) and the other at a slower pace (Creole). Some of my favorite examples so far: dlo (d'leau = water), machine (pronounces mah-shine = car), pwojé (projet = project). It should be a piece of cake.

I'm off to discover all that PAP restaurants have to offer, this time to a place called Chicken Fiesta that specializes in wings! Who would have thought... ?

No comments:

Post a Comment